Current Call for Papers
We are currently accepting submissions for Volume 33. Submissions from both students and faculty are encouraged. We kindly inform you that student submissions (both graduate and undergraduate) should be accompanied by an email from a supervising professor indicating that the material is of publishable quality. Supervising professors must directly email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For this year’s volume, we are accepting submissions from any area related to linguistics, with a special emphasis on topics that center on linguistic and applied linguistic theory and research. Linguistic theory and research can encompass multiple domains, including: phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics. Applied linguistics is an interdisciplinary field that addresses a wide range of real-life language-related issues and questions. As such, possible research areas could include: language education, pedagogy and assessment, translation and interpretation, language and technology, language and culture, language policy and planning, corpus linguistics, bilingualism, and more!
There is a significant body of language work that often sits at the intersection of linguistic theory and applied linguistics. Such areas of work could include sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, linguistic anthropology, language acquisition, and language work related to promoting, revitalizing, and reclaiming Indigenous, minority, and heritage languages. Interdisciplinary submissions that relate language work to other areas of study are welcome and encouraged!
In addition to papers relating to the above theme, WPLC will also be publishing a a separate issue as part of the same volume containing the proceedings of the Northwest Linguistics Conference (NWLC39).
To submit, visit our website for details and follow the submission instructions. Papers submitted by email will not be considered. In no case should papers exceed 25 pages, including references. Please use the WPLC style template (.docx) provided under the Author Guidelines.
All papers are published in an online format only as a free-access publication. The journal is distributed under a Creative Commons licence CC BY-NC 4.0 and is indexed with ProQuest. Since this is a working papers journal, publishing in WPLC does not preclude later publication elsewhere of revised versions of papers.
If your submission is accepted for publication, the author publication agreement must be completed. You will be emailed this document once your paper has been accepted. We look forward to your submission!
- Submission Deadline for Open Call: Friday, May 5th, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Pacific)
- Submission Deadline for NWLC proceedings: June 23rd, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Pacific)
- Submission online through the WPLC Open Journal System website at: https://journals.uvic.ca/index.php/WPLC/about/submissions
- Page Limit: 25 pages including references.
- Style Guide and other author information available at: https://journals.uvic.ca/index.php/WPLC/about/submissions#authors
- Other Requirement (only for Open Call submissions): Student submissions must be accompanied by an email sent to email@example.com from a supervising professor indicating that the paper is of publishable quality