Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- Artistic submissions (non-academic) must be titled, include a brief description of the work, a brief bio of the artist (50–300 words total). NOTE: the following checklist items apply ONLY to academic submissions.
- The academic submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration, or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor. (Artistic submissions may be exempted from this requirement.)
- Articles and essays must include an ABSTRACT (75-200 words) that summarizes the paper, including the main argument or findings, the disciplinary background or approach, and any research literatures or theories significantly utilized.
- The academic submission file is in Microsoft Word file format. (Artistic submissions may be other file formats.)
- DOIs have been included for all academic articles listed in the Works Cited.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- Academic texts are double-spaced; use a 12-point font; and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end (requirement may not apply to artistic submissions).
- The text adheres to the Guidelines and Requirements outlined For Contributors.
- If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal (articles and essays), the submission includes two separate documents: 1) anonymous version; and 2) a title page with all author contact and affiliation information.
- Academic article / essay submissions that pass peer review and are prepared for publication are subject to a one-time $250 fee prior to publication (does not apply to book reviews, film reviews, or any artistic submissions). All book submissions (monographs and edited volumes) that pass peer review and are approved for publication with BIG_Books are subject to a one-time $2500 fee prior to publication.
This section is for visual artwork.
Poetry, Fiction, Creative Writing
This section is for poetry, fiction, and other creative writing.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC 4.0) that allows others to copy and redistribute the material, to remix, transform and bulid upon the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- Artists may discuss alternative copyrights with the editors.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.